Saturday, March 29, 2014

Running Ailments

First thing is first. If you're in pain- stop! It will only take longer to heal. Compression definitely helps to heal faster but there isn't any need to seriously injure yourself. This can set you back even farther and cause you to miss more running days.

If you decide to run outside all year round and it's cold. Just be very careful. I did push myself to run a few days when it was about 21 and 26 degrees. While I love running in the cold, you do need to be careful. Wear the right gear and make sure you will be warm. Under Armour is amazing and is a great investment. I scored a bunch of great stuff at an outlet and was able to keep warm through those cold runs.

Proving you can survive running below freezing :)

On one 21 degree day. I amped myself up and went running. I stayed warm while running but was frozen when I came inside. I tried to warm up for a bit when I realized my stomach itched really badly. I lifted up my shirt to see a large red circle on my stomach. Don't get freaked out if you end up with a rash later either. It is common. It can be known as a bunch of different things but it's medical term is cold urticaria. It's just the skins reaction to cold and sweat. After a few hours it went away. 

I've learned to pay attention to my body and to be able to differentiate between needing to push myself and needing to stop. And when in doubt, Google :)

No comments:

Post a Comment