Saturday, March 29, 2014

Training

In combination with inhalers and allergy medications my breathing has been getting better. Yay! Now I feel like I can start focusing on the goal- running. I'm making sure to give myself plenty of time to get ready since I'm still pretty slow. My husband and I are going to run a 5k in a little over two months and my main goal is a half marathon in a little over 5 months. 

The first thing I wanted to do was to learn a bit more about training and what I should be doing to get ready. The first thing I learned is that you should only be running your max distance at race speed once a week and then doing a regular shorter run once a week and mix in some cardio.

Since I'm just getting back into things I'm trying to exercise three times a week. One day for my max (normal speed because right now I only have one speed- slow), one day at my moderate run and one day of cardio. 

My normal run is about 2.89 miles. That's the usual distance I used to do three times a week when I was running on a more regular basis. This past week I did push myself and do a full 4. I hated myself during it, but was so happy after. It was a gorgeous night and I couldn't help it.


It was so nice to be out and not have to be in layers of Under Armour. 

Depending on the weather I've been doin some indoor cardio on the other days. I know it may sound silly but I use a Wii. I have My Personal trainer and it actually does cause you to break a sweat and work some of your other muscles. 

I definitely recommend keeping a calendar to mark your workouts and where you want your goals to be. I've broken down the calendar working back from just before the race to now and figuring out how many miles I would need to be running to reach my goal. There are also great apps to help with that too. I use Map My Run to keep track of my distance, pace and record keeper. 


No comments:

Post a Comment